Sunday, February 22, 2009

Gloucester Street Spring Break Journals (Day Eight, Part Two)

I'm at Andrea's watching the red carpet coverage of the Academy Awards. This E! newscaster is really annoying, losing her mind over Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. They're just fucking actors. And who cares what these people are wearing? All of that artifice is ridiculous. Actors are nominated for roles that on some level convey a universal and true sense of humanity, yet we're supposed to care about how superhuman they can look. Don't get it. Never will.

One of the things on my list of things to do before I turn 30 is write the introduction to my memoirs. I wanted to get a start on it this week. I've been thinking a bit about it. Memoirs are written to convey a life lived. I wonder who would read a collection of my writings after I pass on. I've wondered that for a while.

I finished off The Medium is the Massage tonight. McLuhan makes the point that people have lost interest in self-expression and individual ideas, preferring instead the expressions of a collective. One person with their own ideas is hard to take seriously.

I think I'm coming to an understanding about the way I see the world. All these bits and pieces are connected. McLuhan makes a great deal of sense to me. I wish I'd paid him more attention in school. I think I'm going to send an email off to Brian Johnson. He was my undergraduate honours thesis supervisor and he had a predilection for McLuhan. Maybe he can help me make greater sense of these ideas. I haven't talked to him in quite some time, so it would give me an excuse.

I've been thinking a little bit over this past week about going back to school one day. Mostly I'm hoping that I can keep that door open. I think there's something very important I have yet to write. I'm not through learning. I'm not through arguing. I'm not through figuring things out.

Picks: Mickey Rourke, Kate Winslet, Heath Ledger, Viola Davis, Danny Boyle, Slumdog Millionaire.

No comments: