Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Though I follow politics, I don't usually talk about them, but I can't resist this. Out of the mouth of Stephen Harper, the Prime Minister of Canada:

"I think when ordinary working people come home, turn on the TV and see a gala of a bunch of people at, you know, a rich gala all subsidized by taxpayers claiming their subsidies aren't high enough, when they know those subsidies have actually gone up – I'm not sure that's something that resonates with ordinary people."

The Conservative government cut $45 million from arts programs in the latest move to cripple the arts community in Canada, after proposing to censor Canadian films, and THIS is his rationale? You know what this boils down to? Harper thinks that "ordinary" people don't care about art. Artists aren't "ordinary" Canadians, trying to make a living, because they're spending all of their enormous subsidies on galas. Galas. What the fuck planet is this guy on? In what eleventh province can I turn on a television and get pissed at all of the never-ending GALA coverage that's being slammed in my face at my, the taxpayer's, expense? Idiot. Moron.

What pisses me off is that many Conservative voters will totally support Harper's viewpoint, assuming that money is going towards something their kid could paint instead of towards their kids' hospital bills. Culture keeps civilization running. It's what allows parents to feel BAD about their sick kids. If you make it impossible for artists to thrive, this country will become cold and sterile. You're talking about the end of humanity in humans. It's not a tenuous link.

Okay.

Yesterday Andrea, Sarah and I had dinner at the diner and walked up Elgin in search of ice cream. We popped into a couple of bakeries. It struck me during our quest that there are a lot of places in Ottawa I've never seen, little cafes and such that are hidden inside these faceless buildings that all sort of blend into one another. I'm intrigued to start checking out some new places because it might give my impression of Centretown a bit of a facelift. Not that I don't love it here.

They're starting to pave Bank Street, patching the violent holes that have been gaping since the spring. It's looking far less apocalyptic. Walking down the middle of the street instead of using the sidewalks always produces a surreal feeling in me.

1 comment:

Asha said...

Duece will be thankful when he hears of the Bank St. repairs.

I also completely agree with you about the conservatives... they're reason the heritage sector is suffering so much these days. Cutting funding to the Museum Assistance Program does great for my line of work.