Sunday, July 6, 2008

I shut down capitalsyn.com. I'm going to see the repercussions in little ways, because I've been storing images and such on that server. I managed to grab everything from the site and put it on my laptop, so it's there if I need it for anything.

I've been able to do things by myself over the last couple of days - dressing, showering, dishes. My goal is to actually get on a bus and go somewhere tomorrow. I need to get over to Andrea's. I hate to think that she's over there working all by herself.

I'm trying really, really hard to not feel sorry for myself, but I think not being able to go anywhere has made it difficult. Why in the world haven't any of my close friends asked me how I'm doing? Seriously? I get laid up for a week and nothing? What the hell is wrong with that picture? I'd like to think I'm pretty diplomatic and understanding over matters like this, but I just can't figure it. Is it because most people don't know? I haven't raised a big enough stink?

And look at Andrea. She had to move in this weekend with zero help. Nobody offered to lend a hand. She's having the most stressful weekend of her life and nobody seems to care. Where is the lapse? Did she ask for help too late? Is she choosing the wrong mode of communication?

When it comes down to it, I don't have day-to-day relationships with most people. Other than Andrea, I don't have a close friend who's more or less aware of how I'm doing. Is this the case with everyone? If you suffered an injury, who would be there by your side to help you out? Are you confident in what you consider your good friendships? Am I being totally unfair?

2 comments:

Rayanne said...

I think when we're out of school, it becomes more and more common to not have those day-to-day connects with good friends. School friends become work friends, and they're rarely the same.

The only person who knows how I am daily is my brother because he's also my roommate.

katie said...

If it weren't for living with James I could be lying in a pool of my own blood for days before anyone would notice. I see so few people during the week and every now and then I find myself flipping through numbers in my cell phone thinking, "wow, I really don't have close friends anymore that I'd call in a pinch."

There's something about developing relationships later in life - friendships don't feel as strong or as devoted. At least from my prespective. Like everyone will always have their own things to worry about before they attend to their friends. I don't like it any more than I think you do.

My defining test for a close friend is I ask myself this: can I call this person at 3 in the morning, waking them up, to discuss a problem? More often then not I'm disappointed when the answer is no.

Additionally, you and Andrea have been back over a month and I haven't seen etiher of you. That does make me sad, but sometimes I understand why.