Saturday, July 26, 2008

It's going to be a long day. I'd better keep this short.

Yesterday I picked up the last of my paycheques at the Chambers and bought a copy of the latest Wired magazine. When I got home I walked to the post office and mailed the Amazon return along with the RSVP to Connolley's wedding. I took a bath and read for a couple of hours. I started writing based on an exercise that demanded I wrote out of a past work experience, and I ended up with a nifty little story intro that I think I might have the chance of finishing. I'm at a little over 1,100 words. The prose was coming at me pretty quick and I was smiling as I was writing it. It's been a long time since I've experienced that, trying to capture a flow of ideas before they get away. I feel really good about it.

Last night while leafing through Wired I finalized the decision to invent an alias for myself. It's an idea I've been kicking around for a few years now. I've had all kinds of aliases since I started using the Internet, but this will be for my identity as a writer and artist apart from the rest of my life in which an association with that identity might harm me (for instance, at work). More on that later.

Andrea and I are renting a car and heading to Trolley's wedding today. Better get ready.

3 comments:

Rayanne said...

Is that the issue with the article How to be Internet Famous?

David said...

That's the one. Julia Allison is on the cover, aka Julia Who?

Rayanne said...

Weird, right? I had no idea who she was. They should have talked about William Sledd or iJustine, or something.