Friday, August 29, 2008

Wicked was, well, wicked. It took a few liberties with Maguire's book - Boq is NOT the Tin Woodman, Fiyero is NOT the Scarecrow, Elphaba does NOT survive and escape the Emerald City with the Scarecrow, who is actually made the ruler of Oz after the Wizard leaves. But that's my inner geek talking. Visually it was astounding, and there were moments that took me back to the wonder I experienced when I first gained an interest in the books.

Speaking of Oz, I went to the In/Words open mic last night for the first time in over a year and read from The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. It was very nice to hang out with old friends and talk about writing. I told Peter I'd like to help out with the magazine this year in some way, shape or form, but then I sent him a message telling him I wasn't sure it would be a good idea. I have a lot of energy to do something new, something that's going to help me grow as a writer. I think In/Words is behind me at this point, though it certainly provides a nostalgia factor.

I picked up my home theater system at Canada Post yesterday and hooked it up. I put on The Matrix and gauged the surround sound. Really incredible. I've ordered a new 42" TV and it's scheduled to arrive next week. It's going to change the way I watch movies. My living room is going to be bitchin'.

I started reading Fifth Business by Robertson Davies, a book that has eluded my attention despite it being a staple in high school English classrooms. I'd read The Manticore before, but I'd forgotten how talented Davies was.

3 comments:

Asha said...

Bitchin' indeed.

Amanda Earl said...

Fifth Business is my favourite of Davies' novels, actually it's my favourite novel. the rest of the Depford Trilogy is great too. enjoy!

Rayanne said...

I've read Fifth Business and loved it, but haven't read any of his others yet.