Sunday, June 1, 2008

I picked up an Oxygen 61 USB MIDI controller at Steve's Music yesterday. It looks like this:


Matt came over and gave me a crash course in Reason, and I've been messing around with a bunch of the units since. I'm working on a song, just some straight ahead industrial stuff to give me an impression of how the program functions. Once I start making my way through the book I should be able to flesh out exactly what I want to do with it.

I had dinner with Andrea last night at Dunn's in the market, which is an area of town that's starting to make me nervous. I don't know if it's always been like that and I just don't remember what it was like, but there are some scary people walking around down there, getting into fights and harassing people for money. Ottawa has recently instituted beat cops to keep an eye on things around the general downtown area and I hope it has a positive effect on things. I'd hate to see the market turn into a cesspool.

Since I work nights and pretty much have the days to myself, I've been getting bored lately, sitting around doing relatively nothing. Andrea recommends that I set out tasks for myself, and I think I'm going to start doing that. When I spend too much time to myself not doing anything, I start thinking about why I never get to see people, what they're doing with their time that makes them satisfied, why they don't particularly enjoy hanging around with me. It's an old pattern of thinking that I haven't experienced in quite some time, and I don't want to slip back into it. I've been trying to remind myself not to give people a hard time about not wanting to go out and do certain things, to be more understanding and act as a positive force, but I need to be around people. It keeps me stimulated and feeling alive.

2 comments:

Andrea Wrobel said...

When you have nothing on your plate, I think it magnifies the fact that other people have school or work and it makes it seem like they're always too busy to do anything. You just need to occupy your time with some solid activities or routines and you'll be a rock star! Sign up for something, or find a small part time job, or give yourself personal deadlines for projects, etc. And try to make it a point to get out of the apt. everyday. Lovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvveulots.

Amanda Earl said...

i like what Andrea said, but i would also add that you have a huge adjustment to make going from school to out of school and a new job with hours you aren't used to. take it easy on yourself and don't be too hard on yourself if it takes you time to adjust. there are places like the beach to go to, to just walk around and meditate...ride a bike. do something physical. it's amazing how much that helps. as someone who has available daytime to do whatever i want, it can be frustrating that not a lot of people are around for coffee/lunch etc. when they are, i tend to prioritize seeing them and when they aren't i hunker down and get my stuff done ;)