Thursday, June 12, 2008

Yesterday I viewed five places including a bachelor on Queen Elizabeth and a one bedroom on Gilmour. The first was too small. I wouldn't be happy in a bachelor. I need another room to go into, otherwise I'll feel like a trapped animal. Besides that, the place was $795 a month, and there are certainly cheaper one bedroom apartments out there. The building was nice - it had a rooftop terrace, a gym and it opened onto the Rideau Canal, but the apartment itself wasn't particularly to my liking. On the complete opposite extreme, the apartment on Gilmour was quite nice, but the building was sketchcore and the super didn't seem to much give a damn about my impression of the place. Nevertheless, I decided to go by the realty office to apply for it. They told me to bring in the first/last deposit and fill out an application once I had everything together.

While I was wandering around Centretown killing time between appointments, I spotted a realty office on Cooper that specializes in bachelor and one bedrooms. I decided to stop in on my way home. The woman who worked there was very friendly and took me around to a few apartments, most of them in a building on Gloucester, just around the corner from the Party Flat. She showed me a basement apartment in the building and it's right up my alley. $750 a month plus hydro. I went back today with the application and a last month deposit. I'm waiting for the credit/employment check to work out, but things are looking pretty positive.

The Senate is back full force this week and paying heed to the residential schools apology that Harper and other party leaders delivered yesterday. I'm told that tomorrow morning will be busy as the Senate is forming a Committee of the Whole to allow individuals from various native communities to appear and discuss what has transpired. It's kind of neat being a part of the process and knowing that Ash is in the same boat. A part of me has always considered politics a grown-up thing rather than something that the youth has a direct role in shaping and perpetuating. Working for the government has opened my eyes in that respect.

Last night I had dinner with Andrea at the diner. We discussed some plans about possibly touring through Europe next summer. We hit the mall and I picked up the new Filter album as well as the first season of Frasier. When I got home I bought tickets for Wicked, which I just found out is coming to Ottawa in a couple of months. Today I'm hooking up with Peter to talk about possibly throwing some sort of show or other together in August.

No comments: