Monday, June 30, 2008

Missed a day. Oops. It's a weekend of drunken misbehaving in honour of the nation's birth. On Saturday night I hung out with a bunch of folks at Christine's place and went to 70's night at Barrymore's. Fun times. Yesterday Andrea and I had a (late) breakfast at Denny's and came back to my place to watch Talk Radio and The Ex. She went home to pack for her move today and I went to Mod Night, which kind of sucked. I hate long weekend crowds. It's not so much the fact that it's crowded but that people get drunk and act like jerks and fights break out and beer gets spilled and fun stops.

I've typically always enjoyed Mod Night. I even enjoy it when people tear it apart for being repetitive and ridiculous. Maybe it is, but it's always been a place where I could count on hanging out with friends. I know Ash kicks around those feelings too because occasionally she'll say that she "needs" a Mod Night, and I know exactly what she means. I've been going there for three years (eight months spent in Toronto aside) and I'm ready to admit that it's just never going to be the same. I've already made the decision to not go every week like I used to. It feels too much like going through the motions of an old life. You don't want to spend ALL your time being nostalgic. It's nice to know that there's a place that reminds you of old feelings and experiences and that it's still going to be there for you to revisit once in awhile, but it can't be as big a part of my life as it used to be. It's not who I am anymore.

Just some thoughts. I know it's just a club and they're just DJs and it's just the same old music. But when I go there it's entirely to soak up memories, and I don't want to live in the past.

Tonight some folks are coming over for drinks. Should be a nice contrast.

No comments: