Sunday, May 4, 2008

New blog! Obviously it needs a redesign. I'll get around to that.

The move went about as well as could be expected, though I'm missing three shirts I just purchased before leaving Toronto. It's just Value Village shit, but still. When I first moved up to Ottawa seven years ago I lost a hoodie, so it's a repeating theme. Next time I'll probably show up naked. If there is a next time.

I spent the night at my folks' place. We watched WWE Smackdown, which is a hilarious show to watch with my mother, who alternates between thinking it's silly to thinking it's disgusting and dangerous. Total mark. In the morning my dad and I set forth. Usually I sleep most of the trip, but I was too excited to see the city again.

The service elevator was booked all day, but we were able to use it for one trip and brought the rest up in the passenger elevator. It probably took about an hour. Three cheers for minimalist living. I didn't bring the hutch or the dresser back with me, which saved some of the heavier lifting. After everything was upstairs, dad took me grocery shopping at Billings Bridge. Shopping with dad is like enduring a grueling job interview ("How about eggs? What are your thoughts on peanut butter and jelly? Studies have shown that the sweetness of oranges is set to rise in the next fiscal quarter. What would your advice be for potential investors looking to diversify from canned meats and rhubarb?"). Maybe not that bad. I love the old man.

So, yeah, new place. It's the highest apartment I've ever lived in. It's on the tenth floor and my room has a view west over the canal towards Centretown. Not bad. I got things settled, went to WalMart and bought a shower curtain, bath mat and hangers. Ash, Ian and I hung out drinking beers and watching TV. At around midnight I retired, started reading Slaughterhouse Five and fell asleep.

I call this blog 2AM Traffic because that's the sound I'll be falling asleep to for the greater part of the summer. Cars heading down Riverside, buses moving along the Transitway. Sounds I haven't heard in a long time. Lullabyes.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that definately a better title than 2AM Drunk A-holes Yelling Loudly.

David said...

That would have been the title to my Party Flat journal. Or at least the subtitle.

Anonymous said...

And how!

So excited to see you tonight. I really hope T-dot hasn't turned you square!

Amanda Earl said...

hurray...looking forward to your ongoing chronicles.

katie said...

My email thought your blog invite was junk mail - for some odd reason I actually skimmed the 275 messages "just in case" tonight instead of deleting as I usually do. Fortuitous. I was starting to feel a little left out s I hadn't yet been invited.