Friday, October 24, 2008

I have quite apparently opted to be as lazy as possible today. I just woke up from a nap I took after working a box office shift for the Writers Festival this morning, my last shift of the week. All in all I'd call it a pretty fun experience, though one has to take serving poets in stride when they run out of hot water for tea. Austin Clarke was one of the best readers I've ever seen in terms of delivery.

ARC celebrated their 30th anniversary. I think this week had a "turning thirty" theme to it. I had dinner out with Jim and others (including Chris and Kathryn's new baby Eric) for his 30th birthday, so I've been thinking about it a bit more than usual lately. I've reached the point where I'm okay with turning 30, thankfully, and I haven't even turned 29 yet. All I care about when it comes to aging these days is knowing that I'm still capable of growth, that growing doesn't just stop. I think I spent a lot of my 20's subconsciously worried that that would be the case. Thankfully, I've grown out of it.

I talked with Glenn Nuotio quite a bit last night, who graciously let me know about a job opportunity. On my way home I wondered why when anyone asks me what I'm doing, I tell them I'm looking for a job while never mentioning that I'm also writing stories and music and trying to improve at those things. When I tell people that I'm after a government job, I sometimes get a reaction along the lines of "Really? Why?" I don't know why, really. Because the money is good, and because I live by myself paying rent and bills, and because I have a debt. Mostly, though, I suppose it's because I don't know what I want to do, nor how to go about doing it effectively.

I write stories and music. Today I started a new short story to procure another rejection letter. Yesterday I finished a cover of "Sleep Apnoea" by Buck 65, which you can listen to here: It's what I do.

No comments: