Thursday, October 2, 2008

Last night I watched the movie Juno before going to bed. It was the second time I've seen it and the first since I saw it in Toronto back in December, and it milked feeling I've had for the past couple of weeks or so: I'm nostalgic for the semesters I spent in Toronto. I spent everyday of the time I spent there defining the city as not-Ottawa, coming and going virtually alone from Keele Street to campus and back, and over time the city grew on me. I don't know what I miss about that time, exactly. Maybe it was the time I spent by myself in movie theatres (though I saw Juno with friends), maybe it was the hours spent in the stacks researching, the walks up Keele, the thought that the only thing I really had to care about was studying and completing assignments until I could move back and see my girlfriend again, all of these things. I've always been a nostalgic person by nature. Lately I've been thinking about the amazing things I've done in the past year and wondering how many more amazing things are in front of me, and what I have to do to see them through.

All this time in the basement gets me thinking. I need to get outside more. I took a walk today, down O'Connor to Gladstone and then back around up Kent. I don't get much sun in the apartment so it comes as a shock to realize that it's out there.

I wrote 1,100 words yesterday. I haven't had an idea take me over like this in ages. The further I chop into it the clearer the pathways to the other side become. Creativity is hitting me in waves. I've had a lot of energy to volunteer lately, but it's a matter of scheduling everything - I have a trip to Peterborough coming up, plus shifts for the Writers Festival, as well as keeping an eye out for a job. I want to spend my time wisely.

So many political debates to choose from tonight. Well, two, actually - the English Canadian leaders debate and the American VP debate. Do I want to watch Harper get gangbanged, or watch Biden and Palin try to out-gaffe each other? I'll see them both, ultimately.

No comments: