Friday, October 3, 2008

I'm getting tired of watching politicians playing games. All of them do it. They twist the truth, the person they're accusing responds and twists the truth right back at them. It doesn't matter what party it is, what leader it is. They all play games. Why? To advance a set of socio-economic beliefs and principles that people either agree with or don't. That's why I never understood why people who supported Hilary Clinton said they'd vote for McCain once Obama secured the nomination. Ignorant spite. I don't know how many actually made the shift, but it would have required a shift of principles, a far bigger one than would have been required to support another Democratic candidate. It wouldn't make sense.

A person has their beliefs. Education changes beliefs. I watched the Canadian leaders debate last night with an open mind, open to education, hoping to chip away through the game playing to get at the set of principles I most agreed with. I'm willing to give even Harper a chance, even though I lean left - pro-gay marriage, pro-choice, pro-arts and social funding. I was most impressed with Elizabeth May, whom I agreed with on nearly all counts. She had her shit together. She'd done her homework, because she realized how important the opportunity was for the Green Party, and she didn't let them down. She shined.

But I can't vote for the Green Party, because at a local level I'm not as sure about Jen Hunter. Neither can I vote Liberal, because Dion didn't win me over on his views - calling the arts in Canada "fun," quibbling with Harper over which party was to blame for which failure over the last ten years. Layton always strikes me as a little too much like a used car salesman, but as vague as he was last night, I agreed with his principles - arts are the soul of Canada, the leash of big oil needs to be cut and the funding put into job creation and environmental technology advancements. The NDP are socially progressive with regard to discrimination that denies funding to groups vying for recognition. Centretown has a solid history of NDP leadership. So Dewar's getting my vote.

I'd love to see a Liberal-NDP minority, but I don't think it will happen. Harper will get re-elected. I think the NDP will end up with more seats. It interests me to see the advances the Green party will make after the campaign they're putting on.

As far as US politics are concerned, I think Sarah Palin is a joke. Golly gosh gee darn she ain't prepared to be on any stage.

No comments: