Wednesday, October 15, 2008

I tested for a position as a transeditor with the House of Commons today, a two-hour, three-part process. Part one was a typing test, definitely the most grueling part as it was timed and I wasn't used to the keyboard. Part two was a written grammar and government knowledge test, mostly multiple choice and fill-in-the-blanks that I feel I did well on. For part three I had to transcribe a debate from audio tape. The recorder was hooked up to a foot pedal, so it felt like driving. Every confidence that I whooped that part's ass. They're going to let me know in about three weeks if I'm worthy of an interview.

I watched JFK last night, and it's a phenomenal film. Stone's editing makes it, as he assaults the viewer with multiple types of motion and still photography to produce different storytelling effects, mirroring the frenzy of the conspiracy theories he address. For not having known much about the assassination, it was incredibly revelatory for me as a film about the importance of questioning government. Cutaway scenes during the trial of JFK's autopsy were real and gritty and took my breath away.

Speaking of dead politicians, how about that Stephane Dion? The worst Liberal showing in Canadian election history. Slow clap. The election played itself out pretty much how I thought it would, though it's certainly a shame the Liberals didn't perform better. The Conservatives are even stronger than they were before. The NDP are inching back up to where they were in the 80's. See you again in two years.

No comments: